Sunday 29 April 2018

Pilgrimage to Pin Oak Court

Yesterday marked the first monthiversary since the day I landed in Melbourne. I've been putting off going to Pin Oak Court (the real residential cul-de-sac where they film all the external Ramsay Street footage) for a special day as I didn't want to peak too soon but it was such a lovely day and I just happened to be in a place earlier on in the afternoon where I could then get a direct tram to this most sacred part of Melbourne. So that my friends, is exactly what I did.

I had to walk for around 20 minutes after getting off the tram due to the driver not stopping at the stop I'd pressed the bell for, but that meant I got to go on a lovely scenic walk through the delightful suburb of Vermont South where every house looked like it should be situated on Ramsay Street. As I came round the last bend in the road before the turning, my heart rate definitely quickened and I could feel my eyes welling up with emotion and then before I could prepare myself fully...there it was! The junction to mythical street of hopes, dreams and aneurysms (RIP Stingray) with the street sign  towering above me like some majestic arrow pointing the way to the Promised Land.


As I walked up the street I was greeted by the loveliest security guard I've ever met. His name was Rocky and he has been the guardian of that little residential street for the last seven years. We had a lovely long chat and he told me that there had been around 120 people casually walking up the no through road that day which shocked me because I still have yet to find any Ramsay Street merchandise in Melbourne and therefore thought that nobody cared any more! He even offered to take some photos with me in them which was very nice of him. He asked me where I came from and I told him I've been living in Manchester in the UK for the last six years, at which point he informed me that the family who live at the Sharma Rebecchi house originally come from Manchester too.

Despite his assurance that he doesn't watch Neighbours, Rocky knew a hell of a lot about the show and tried to quiz me with questions like; "this used to be Paul Robinson's house, do you know who lives there now?" and was impressed that I knew my stuff. I told him that my boyfriend regularly tries to catch me out by quizzing me with the Perfect Blend website open (the holy bible of Neighbours trivia) and it's an extremely difficult thing to do.

My photos aren't the best as I got there in the late afternoon when the sun was low and shinning directly above Harold Bishop's old house so the exposure is slightly all over the place.



The Current Willis House


This house is currently where Terese and Piper Willis live (after the rest of their family either died, moved away or got divorced and moved to Queensland). Before Brad and Terese moved in it mainly belonged to Paul Robinson and the various families that have been linked to him. It was also the home of the Starks and Lou Carpenter.





The Brennan House


The Brennan house aka the original Ramsay/Harold Bishop house, complete with a brand new fence which apparently will be written into the show soon (no doubt installed by Amy Williams). As you can see from the picture below, Harold must have popped in for a visit because there's a caravan in the driveway.





The Canning House


This is the original Robinson household and currently the home of Sheila and the rest of the Canning family. This is probably the most iconic of all houses where Jim Robinson spilled that bowl of oranges all those years ago and also was also the home of the Martins, The Wilkinsons, The Scullys and The Timmins'.





The Kennedy House


Despite this being an unplanned visit and I had no intention of going to Pin Oak Court when I left the house that morning, I still managed to dress accordingly for this beauty of a photo. I will forever be a Dr K groupie...ever since he signed my breast at a student night in Chester about 10 years ago (I was young and crazy back then). What an absolute legend of a man!




The House of Trouser


I know Toadie is all grown up and is a sensible lawyer with a wife and family now but this will always and forever be the house that he, Lance, Stu and Joel used to sit around in their underpants drinking beer and eating pizza.





The Sharma-Rebecchi House


This is where Toadie's brother, Shane and his family live at the moment. Once the home of the Mangles, The Turners, The Hancocks (who I liked very much despite popular opinion) and the highly sexy Michael Williams.





Final Thoughts


I don't think I could have mentally prepared myself for just how magical the experience of going to Pin Oak Court was going to be. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to be a very special moment but nothing could have warned me about how peaceful, reflective and life affirming it actually was. I know I've been joking about when I finally get to Ramsay Street it will be my equivalent of going to Mecca but when faced with the reality of it, it actually was a pretty deep and meaningful pilgrimage.

Despite one tour bus, the odd 100 other people that had set foot on this hallowed street before me on that day alone and one guy who was very sheepishly trying to wander around nonchalantly whilst I was in full on conversation mode with Rocky, I found Pin Oak Court to be a very quiet and peaceful little suburban cul-de-sac.

I spent what must have been half an hour there and at no point was I made to feel that I had over stayed my welcome. Rocky was the perfect host and was very encouraging towards my crazy fandom. He really made the experience special for me and I could have chatted away to him for hours.

I used to think having round the clock security on the street was a bit extreme and felt sorry for the residents who live there but it really felt like he was part of the street. He is the living, breathing friendly wave each morning that helps to make a better day and he bridges the gap between pilgrims like myself and the people that have to put up with us.

Thanks Rocky!




10 comments:

  1. Loved this Fiona, congratulations on realising one of your dreams!, Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janey. It has been a long time coming huh!

      Delete
  2. You can your merchandise from the office that does the official tours. Bunnyip I think? They did magnets postcards caps etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they only have postcards and fridge magnates these days. It's quite pitiful. I keep meaning to write up a blog post about the time I went to the Bunyip depot but I keep getting distracted by other exciting things.

      Delete
  3. Great story Fiona. They use my Fire Engine on the set sometimes when there is an Emergency!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for this. Interesting info and great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having known about your deep love for the Ramsey Street Saga from many moons ago Its a delight to know you have finally achieved your dream so pleased for you Feef xxx

    ReplyDelete